Powered By Blogger

Sunday 6 May 2012

A Little Walk, A Little Music Quiz 5-6 May 2012




It was up and at 'em this morning as we had planned to go for a walk with MB and crew. Setting off  from Appledore to Stone Cum Ebony. I didn't realise there was a village in Kent with the word 'Cum' in the title. The only one I know of is a place on the  Suffolk/Norfolk borders called Hockwold Cum Wilton. Sarah decided not to go as she was suffering from a touch of the Lurgey. The weather could have been better, so on the way I made a pit stop at the garden centre and bought myself a waterproof hat. As I arrived at the start point the rain eased off and actually it stopped for the duration of the walk. First off we had to move our cars from the spaces outside the pub after they moaned. (Pity because we were going to round off the walk with a drink there...not now though). So twelve of us plus assorted dogs set off following the path along the military canal, then crossed the road and followed a small road uphill, past the church and a few fields of sheep, and soon we were at Stone Cum Ebony. We found the Ferry Inn, and had a swift half or two whilst we ate our packed lunches. It was nice of them to allow us to eat our sarnies in the beer garden. I took note that the food being served there looked really good, so we must give it a go sometime.  The walk back to Appledore was quick, although the footpath across the field was heavy going, very squelchy. We got back about 1:45pm so MB's estimate of 2pm wasn't too far out. I spent the rest of the afternoon watching the end of Back to the Future pt 2, then a quick trip to Asda followed by cleaning the Aquarium, and scraping the sheep poo off my walking boots. 

The evening was spent round at Chris' place, at the invite of MB where we ate loads of snacks, drank pop and watched the latest Mission Impossible film (good) and a British movie called The Decoy Bride, which was ok. A romantic comedy (or chick flick) which I had never heard of before but had a raft full of British actors and was written by Sally Phillips. She was part of the 'Smack the Pony' team and has appeared in countless comedies including 'I'm Alan Partridge' and 'Miranda'.

Sunday.



I slept right the way through to 8:30. All that fresh air and exercise yesterday plus a late night must have tired me out.
After our weekly trip to Asda we decided to have dinner at lunchtime. I saw an ad in the paper this week for Aldi. They were selling cheap cycling bits n bobs. So we set off for the nearest store, which was in Hythe. I came away with a pair of gloves and we grabbed the last two walking poles. Not bad for a fiver each. They didn't have any cycling shorts in my size though so I will have to get some on eBay. Talking of which I blagged myself a Type 37 Diesel loco and three 1970's inter-city carriages for 16 quid on eBay today. Not bad considering the loco alone sells secondhand for about 48 quid. We are pop quizzing tonight in aid of the Find A Voice charity. It has taken me a while to get a team together but I think we have a winning formula!

The quiz night went well. The compare, John 'Webbo' Webster did a great job, as did the organisers. The team played their part, they did offer up some of the answers. The questions were just right, not too easy, nor too difficult. although I must say some of the answers we gave were pure guess work. Anyway we won, by quite a margin. I can't help it when it comes to music type stuff my head is full of useless facts and figures and I have a tendency to hog the quiz, sorry guys.
There is talk of a music quiz night down at the Rare Breeds Centre later this month. However we need a team of ten to take part. Blimey it took me enough hassle to get four!
Tomorrow is a bank holiday. No early start for me then. Woo Hoo!

Until next weekend then

No comments:

Post a Comment