Powered By Blogger

Sunday 18 March 2012

Things To Do, People To See 17-18 March 2012

Saturday





Having cleaned out the aquarium on friday night, I decided to leave out the plastic plant and arch as it was clogged with hair algae. Sarah's brother had recommended one type of fish that laps it up, called that American Flag Fish. So we decided to go down to Swallow Aquatics in Tenterden  and make enquiries. They didn't have what we wanted, but they offered us another fish, the Flying Fox, which also ate the stuff. So we got three. We also bought a sunken shipwreck to go in the tank and some live food. I spotted some Zombie garden ornaments in the centre. At £150 and £100 respectively I don't think I will be partaking thanks.
By the time we got home the heavens had opened, so gardening was out, and we didn't need to go anywhere else so I spent the afternoon doing bits on the model railway. We fancied a curry, and decided to try Everest Inn in the town after hearing good things about it. Yes the food was good, I even had a Ghurka Beer which was perfectly gluggable. But it was a bit pricey, and as there are restaurants in town that are cheaper and just as good it is not a place we will be going to regularly. I also don't agree with the 10% service charge they added. I think that should be at the customers discretion! We rounded off the evening with a Blu-ray of The Expendables. Basically 'Commando' with all the action heros, Sly Stallone, Jason Statham, Jet Li, Dolph Lungren and even a brief appearance from Arnie and Bruce. The plot? Lots of mindless violence and guns and explosions, just the film for Saturday night!

Sunday

A busy day started with our usual trip to the Asda. Then it was off to Gravesend for a Mothers Day get together dinner with my brother, sis-in-law and Mum and Dad. After a good chicken dinner and an even better apple crumble I helped Graham check the battery on Corina's motorbike (Suzuki SV650), which went flat last Sunday while he was out on it. It may have been a new battery but it needed a good charge, and Graham had hooked it up to a solar charger, which would have kept it topped up but it needed a good boost. I also got the chance to Try Graham's Ducati for size. I only sat on it though. I must take my test! After thrashing him at Wii bowling, and him thrashing me at baseball and tennis, Graham brought out these chocolate witchetty grubs, 7 of which have toffee filling and three with Tripe! by now Colin Sarah and James had turned up so five of us had one each. and all of them were toffee. That meant round two had three bad ones. Phew I picked a good one, but the others didn't. I never laughed  so much as when Graham ran out of the room shouting UUURGHH ITS TRIPE! Then Colin grimaced as he caught the flavour of tripe and spat his out as well. 

Earlier this week I decided to offer my services as a volunteer and radio presenter to Ashford Hospital Broadcasting Service (AHBS). I had arranged to meet them tonight. We were welcomed in by the studio manager, and I joined the two presenters in the studio for a quick chat. They thought it would be good to try me out so gave me some request slips to read out live on air. Then we had a very quick talk about my experiences in hospital radio. Time was brief though as they had a mountain of requests to get through. After chatting with the studio manager I have decided to apply for membership. The only bugbear is having to go through the rigmarole with the NHS Trust. Can you believe that although I have a Valid CRB certificate for hospital volunteers,  I need another for this trust. What a complete waste of NHS money. I know that procedures must be followed and I cannot jump the queue but this must be looked into. I feel a letter to the powers that be may be in order. Anyway I enjoyed the evening down there. They are a dedicated bunch who really care about their listeners, the patients, as well as the community radio side. I have managed to avoid the Grand Prix result all day, so watching the highlights on BBC wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I actually liked the highlights as sometimes there can be lap after lap of nothing happening, and I end up nodding off.


Until next week then

No comments:

Post a Comment