Powered By Blogger

Sunday 22 July 2012

Self Assembly, Python and Dungeness 21-22 July 2012

We went to IKEA this week to get some new office furniture. Basically our third bedroom contains a hotch-potch of old computer desks, none of which match. It means I have no room to properly install my mini studio.



First off, we popped into town to do a few bits and bobs. We bumped into a friend from the Astro club and had a quick chat, bought some nibbles for tonight, then we decided to lunch out. So we went to the Beefeater at Eureka Park. Rump steak, profiteroles and a couple of glasses of Pepsi later it was ready to face the self-assembly task ahead of me.

Having measured up I reckoned that the corner unit and one long desk would fit, just. I wasn't too wrong as there was about half a Gnats clearance. I had to do some minor adjustments to the desk with a tenon saw and drill so the end cleared the radiator valve and skirting board, but now it fits ok and looks good. Then it was time for film night.

Normally this happens at another friend's place but seeing as he was away I offered to hold one. We were joined by Manky and Andy and I decided to show three Monty Python films back to back. we started off with 'Holy Grail', then 'Life of Brian' and finished with 'Meaning of Life', at which point we were joined by Tina. A good evening was had by all.

Sunday







As it was going to be a sunny day we decided to head for the coast and one of my favourite spots, Dungeness. I fancied a ride on the RH and DR train to Hythe, and a visit to the Model railway exhibition at New Romney. I was surprised, on such a lovely day there were not many people on there. I suppose it is early in the summer holidays. I do like the scenery en route. It goes from the shingle desert of Dungeness through to the flat grazing lands of Romney Marsh, via plenty of back gardens! Seventy minutes later we arrived in Hythe. After a quick cuppa we were back on the same train and heading for New Romney. The ticket allows to to visit the exhibition so having an interest in model railways it was something I wanted to see. The oo gauge layout is pretty impressive. They even included a Tardis, Daleks and a 'Triassic Park' OK so they don't really stick to realism but it was entertaining to see. A 15 minute wait for the next train gave us a photo opportunity as the staff had put two locomotives out so people could stand (or sit) at the footplate. We got back to Dungeness about 5pm. 

Until next week then...

No comments:

Post a Comment