Powered By Blogger

Monday 15 November 2010

Back in the day....


One of the spin-offs from DJing at Dance Web Radio was the possibility of hosting 'Old School' disco nights at the local clubs. So I found out yesterday when I saw my name on the poster as a guest DJ at Bar Academy, Rivals in Deal this Christmas along with my fellow DJs.
Now Its been a while since I went clubbing, and I'm looking forward to it, but when I was a teenager we were clubbing every week.....For back then I was a Soul Boy!

Now this was a way of life, we had the best music, the best clothes and of course the best girlies. We had a right old laugh back then attending clubs over the south east including Zero 6 in Southend, Stage 3 in Leysdown, Neros in Ramsgate and of course our local Club, Flicks in Dartford. That was our weekly haunt. I heard all the latest soul/disco/jazz funk records both UK and US import, plus we had personal appearances from the likes of Teena Marie, Second Image and the world famous Gap Band, who came to see us perform the now Iconic 'Oops Upside Your Head' dance...for it was us who invented it. well we have to take the blame for something I suppose.....The DJs were just as famous as the artistes they played, including Chris Hill, The late Froggy, Jeff Young, Pete Tong and our local DJ Colin Hudd. So its taken me 30 years to become a club DJ...better late than never!

Here's the Playlist for sunday 14th November by the way. I may repeat some of this next week as we had internet streaming issues during my show which meant it was a bit intermittent!

Don't forget to join me live on the cyber-dancefloor on http://www.dancewebradio.co.uk/ Sundays 16:00 to 18:00 GMT.


CARL CARLTON : SHES A BAD MAMA JAMA
EVELYN 'CHAMPAGNE' KING : SHAME
ONE WAY/AL HUDSON : MUSIC
CARRIE LUCAS : DANCE WITH YOU
THIRLD WORD : TRY JAH LOVE
CHANGE : PARADISE
TEENA MARIE : I NEED YOUR LOVING
NEW JERSEY CONNECTION : LOVE DON'T COME EASY
TONY RALLO : HOLDING ON
GQ : BOOGIE OOGIE OOGIE
BRASS CONSTRUCTION : MOVIN'
ALTON EDWARDS : I JUST WANNA
TYRONE BRUNSON : THE SMURF
THE JACKSONS : HEARTBREAK HOTEL
BOBBY THURSTON : CHECK OUT THE GROOVE
JAZZY DEE : GET ON UP
CHERYL LYNN : GOT TO BE REAL
LOWRELL : MELLOW MELLOW (RIGHT ON)
GENE CHANDLER : DOES SHE HAVE A FRIEND FOR ME
GENE DUNLAP : LOVE DANCING
HERBIE HANCOCK : I THOUGHT IT WAS YOU

No comments:

Post a Comment