Powered By Blogger

Sunday 5 August 2012

Camping and Castles 4-5 August 2012





I like three day weekends. Friday morning was spent with friends, where we had breakfast at the Foundry cafe. I had the biggest full English I think I've ever eaten.  Then we went for a walk to try and recover from all that food. Victoria park is a place I rarely visit. But walking through there this morning made me realise it is actually a nice place. The River Stour looks clean of rubbish with plenty of fish, and I was impressed with the large fountain. Just a pity they only operate it at weekends. Then it was home for an afternoon of watching Olympics, napping and taking stuff down the dump.

Saturday. 

We had to go into town this morning. So while Sarah went off for a chat with the bank I sat in the cafe with a frothy coffee. When I finished that I went and had a chat with Andy and Julie from Dexterity, who were peddling their motorbike training courses in County Square. I must admit I've neglected the motorbike for a while, it needs an MOT so just sits in the garage looking dejected. 

I have been thinking about staying over at Batcamp* later this month. This involves buying a tent and some camping equipment. We went to Cotswold in Maidstone this afternoon for a look around, and although we didn't buy any camping stuff,  we did buy new waterproof North Face jackets as my old one leaks. They were in the sale as well so I thought they were worth getting before winter sets in and the prices go up. 

A round of lawn mowing was in order when we got home. I managed to empty the grass box three times, that's how long the grass was. Normally I only have to empty it once. Then after some Chinese grub from the freezer we settled down for an evening of Olympics. Wow that was the greatest sporting achievement I've ever seen, Well done Jessica, Mo, Greg and of course all the other Team GB medal winners. It makes you proud to be British!

Sunday.

We were in Asda by 9:30 this morning, and on the way home we dropped into Halfords to have a look at their tents. They sell one with 4 sleeping bags, 2 air beds, electric pump, lanterns the  lot and you can stand up in the tent. A pre-requisite as far as we are concerned. I still want to shop about though as this offer gives us more kit than we need.




After a spot of lunch we decided to make use of our English Heritage membership. Walmer and Deal castles were our destination. I've driven pass these on several occasions but never ventured in. I reckon everyone must be watching the Olympics as there weren't many people at either castles, apart from a few foreign tourists.  Walmer Castle is more of a stately 'ome. According to our audio guides the Duke of Wellington died there apparently. The trouble with these guides is they last longer than your interest in the room. You just want to move on and are not all that bothered about the history of the statuette on the sideboard. We strolled into the gardens and had a  quick game on the giant connect four, which I lost. Then stopped for a quick cuppa before moving on.

Then it was back on the road for the five minute drive to Deal Castle. This castle obviously hasn't been lived in as the interior is sparse, save for a couple of paintings and displays. The lower ramparts were also a bit flooded, so we couldn't get all the way round without getting our feet wet, but I liked the way they have not lit the passageways, so its just natural light in there. EH tend to rely on these audio guides so there is not much visual information around. Unless you buy a guidebook of course.

I see Team GB have won more gold today, absolutely brilliant and all these people who were slagging off the Olympics before they started are strangely quiet now. Having watched a helluva lot of the Olympics on TV I feel that the experience is passing me by. So we are seriously thinking about trying to get tickets for the Paralympics, just to say we were there.

Until next week then...


* If you have never been you won't appreciate how good Batcamp is.













No comments:

Post a Comment