Powered By Blogger

Sunday 11 November 2012

Rye Fawkes Pageant and RIP Mick 10-11 November 2012

It always seems that when we have a busy schedule planned, myself or Sarah catches a cold. This time it was me, with Sarah coming down today. I had Thursday off sick as I was feeling awful. I had already booked Friday off so I had two days to recover before the weekend. Friday night we were fit enough to go up to the Hazlitt Theatre in Maidstone for the Stage Theatre Society production of 'Beauty and the Beast'. What an excellent show! Even better when you realise that no performer was over 19.

Saturday.



There was nothing planned until the evening. So we watched telly, had lunch,  and watched the Muppet Movie DVD. Soon it was time to collect Julie and Andy, then meet up with the other clans for the trip to Rye. We arrived in a convoy of six cars (I think) and parked up on the A259 about a mile from town. We made our way to the High Street where we met more clans then queued for chips. Luckily the queue was just out of the door. By the time I left the shop it was snaking down the road. I reckon there were more here this year than last. The place was packed. We stood at the same place as last year and by the time chips, drinks candy floss etc was consumed and sparklers lit the procession was making its way down the street. Manky used his LED banner on his phone to herd us all down to the bonfire for the main event. 100k worth of fireworks later it was time to leave. The queue out of town wasn't too bad, and apart from the fog through Appledore and up to High Halden the journey back was ok. Yet again it was a great evening and a worthy end to the bonfire parade season.

Sunday



I came downstairs to the news that Mick, our 3 year old Bristlenosed Catfish was no more. I netted him out of the aquarium and tried to flush him, but in a final act of defiance he refused to budge. So a garden burial was in order. I just hope the cats don't dig him up. I will be replacing him soon as I like Plecos. By the way the photo is not Mick, but it was the nearest I could find on the web. I have searched through my pics and I can't find any. He was a bit camera shy.

This afternoon we were thinking about going to see 'Skyfall'. However Sarah's cold is not better so She doesn't fancy sitting in the cinema all snotty, and I don't blame her. Will I ever get to see this film? As it was a nice day we decided to drive down to Tenterden Garden Centre and check out replacements for Mick. Swallow Aquatics didn't really have much in as they are re-fitting the store. We had a look at the Christmas display and bought something, stopping to photograph 'The worlds biggest spade' verified by the Guiness book of Records. Then we drove back home via Woodchurch, Kenardington and Hamstreet, a very picturesque route which I have done on the bike, but never in the car. As I type this Star Trek:TNG is on the telly. Of course I have seen these loads of times, but this is one series I can watch again and again. 

Until next week then...

   


No comments:

Post a Comment